Should you be Counseled?

NCO's and aspiring NCO's,

I have been reading this old thread for a while now, and I feel that it should be brought up again. I will go ahead and provide my current situation I am dealing with.

To talk a little bit about myself before I being:
I serve in the U.S. Army as a 68S Preventive Medicine Technician (PMS soldier!) for six years
I have completed Airborne School, WLC, technical certifications, won soldier of the month boards and I am the soldier of the year on my installation. I am the Section Leader of Environmental Health here on my base which falls under a branch of Occupational Health services, I am responsible for all RMW and HW waste removal procedures and guidelines for this facility and I am also the event coordinator for our fundraising committee. I am also one of the PT instructors for both morning and Remedial P.T. (not a PT Stud, but I will run you to the ground).
My biggest issue and my current hurdle at the moment is that it has been literally over six months since I have received any performance counseling’s. I never received counseling when I won soldier of the year. When I was under my prior NCO, He had informed me that if I am not receiving any counseling’s, then it is a good thing and I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Now that our organizational structure has changed, I have been put under a new NCO back in September and it is not 20 November 2012 and I have still received no counseling, not even an initial counseling as far as his expectations (not to mention he got thrown into a field he has no idea about since he is only a medic)!
I have repeatedly asked both my prior and current NCOs to see my counseling packet (to make sure it didn't just "disappear") in order to see what was my last statement in the packet (which I asked during the change in command structure). I was told that I will get to see it but I have not even seen it as of to date!
The only counseling that I received was a chew out by this new NCO who does not know my job, got thrown into a field that he is new to. Apparently I had an attitude problem when it came to conducting my inspections on civilians who worked in the food service industry who are privileged to serve on this installation (one of my functions is a Health Inspector, my job is to find anything that could possibly make someone sick, identify it, and make a recommendation while docking it off on the paperwork for them and letting them know how to improve.) That is something I have been managing after coming from a combat unit to a non-combat unit.
My main question this morning, as I am on staff duty unable to sleep is the following:

1. Given the situation, would you recommend that I take this immediately up the chain of command or wait until the end of this month to see if I receive counseling?
2. I feel that I have more than proven myself and to others that I can be a leader and I am ready to take the next step in becoming an NCO. Should my attitude be the only thing my NCO holds against me for not being recommended for promotion?
3. Would you recommend I just start counseling myself and my section member to display that I am trying to one step above and beyond?
4. There are some NCO's here whom I consider to be "good o'l boys". Since there is only one E-7 and the rest are E-5's, do you believe that the junior NCOs are preventing soldier from excelling in their career?
If someone could answer these questions I would most certainly appreciate it. I look forward to your response. Thank you for your time!

((I wasn't so sure if where I posted at previously was meant to be there, So I decided to make my own thread just in case.))
Original Post
1- Yes. Talk with your PLT SGT then 1SG if it doesn't get fixed after a week or two.
2- What attitude? Along with #1, talk with your immediate supervisor and tell them you want to go to the board. If they say no, you should be counseled. If they say yes, you should be counseled as well (with plan of action to get promoted.) If it doesn't happen or they say no, talk with your PLT SGT.
3- Not really, although it would be good NCO practice for you.
4- not enough info.

Don't dwell too much about your NCO's experience or whatever. They need to know just enough of what you do to make sure you're doing it right. They don't have to know how to do it all. (You think the 1SG has any idea what every Soldier does?? They supervise.)
AutobahnSHO,

I appreciate that. I can tell you that I am not the only one this happens to in our unit and it won't be the last. Unfortunately, our unit is an MTF which only has one E-7 and all E-5s. We are currently deficient as the TDA requires that this unit have a CLINIC NCOIC and a Detarchment 1SG.

As far as attitude, It is a personal issue and I feel that most civilians I deal with on a constant basis, given my occupation, don't always like what I have to hear or say. Hell, I've been called a bully in the past too when it comes to my inspections.

I won't dwell as much since any actual NCO can become a supervisor, I just don't appreciate people jumping to conclusions without getting the full spectrum of both sides of the story.

Last, your right, I should have been counseled long before as to the reasons why or why not I am being recommended for promotion. Then again this is a "laid back" unit and not my former unit. I will take your advice though so thank you.
Well I'll just go ahead and say it. They probably don't want to write the counselings for your last 6 year's in service that are missing. In a typical unit, the CSM will ask to have the soldier's counseling packet hand carried by the sponsor to ensure that NCO is doing his job. Not only will you be kicked out but your sponsor fired. Anyway very surprised you made it to soldier of the year without a counseling packet.
Good Grief Charlie Brown!

Ahem, since were in the same field (public health), let me say a few things...

Ok...One thing: You stated you SERVE in the US Army. Remember that. Simply because you are a 68S10 does not entitle you to portray yourself as someone ABOVE other people. That's what your statement, at least to me, is coming off as. Apparently, you DO have an attitude problem if those civilians view you as having one. You have a job, so do they. It is NOT a "privilege" you afford them to work on the installation. It is the agency's job to fulfill that. Perception is reality. In our field, it is vital to remember, be professional. Many facilities will ask you for your assistance, when it is needed. They will not, however, ask for an attitude. They know you have a chain of command as well. They will also utilize that chain if they see something wrong in relation to you. I assume you're working at White Sands Missle Range? If you need assistance with that, get with the PHCD-Ft Bliss. They're the closest to you.

Two, your job is not something you're managing coming from a TO&E unit to a TDA unit...it is your job. Do it, ensure you do it correctly. Mission complete. If you are the "section leader" act like it. If guidance is needed from your NCOs, ask for it. They should be there to provide it.

Three, if your first line supervisor is a whiskey, do not forget that he/she is also a medical professional. He is "not only a medic"

*Steps off soapbox* Relating to your questions:

1. One of the first things you should expect from a new supervisor is an initial counseling. If he hasn't provided that to you, ask him for it. Tactfully.

2. You may feel you've proven yourself. Your NCOs may not feel that way. Prove it to THEM. Your attitude may be the only thing to holding you back from going to the promotion board. You're leading pt, good job. Try to find other things outside of your MOS/job that can assist you in your pursuit of higher rank and responsibility.

3. Don't counsel yourself. IMO, it comes off as a childish. Again, if you're not being counseled, ask for it. How can you truly expect to counsel yourself correctly. The best fixes one can do is when someone else is looking in. Think like this: A DFAC Manager doesn't always know something is wrong until you as an inspector point it out.

4. There are always going to be "good ol boys." Its the nature of the beast. No one is preventing you from excelling in your career except for you.

If your unit is short on a 1SG or clinic NCOIC, I dare you to ask the commander about it. He or she will tell you (and possibly put you in your place)

Add Reply

Likes (0)