stand at parade rest while in civilian clothes?

You're very welcome.

Most of the people who come on this forum to ask questions like that are Soldiers who've been hemmed up because they didn't stand at parade rest just because they were in civvies.

To me (enlisted 9.5yrs, NCO for 6.5yrs of that, now Warrant Officer) a lot of it depends on the situation. If I just bump into a Soldier I know at walmart I would never expect them to stand at attention (SAA) or parade rest (PR) when we just say hi and chat about the weekend.

Now if we were at Org day and they're in Civvies and so is the BN Commander it would be a little different- chatting would be fine but if there were in front of the unit being given a trophy or whatever of course they should SAA.

If I were to be chewing someone's butt for something serious I would expect them to be SAA no matter what they or I were wearing. (It's been very rare that I've "locked them up" though- even in uniform.)

And of course, even wearing civilian clothes at work, it would depend on the situation whether they should be PR or SAA or not.
(Like undercover operations, of course not.)
Very informative! Thank you very much! I've only been in 2 years and I am a research freak so it really frustrates me when I can't find an answer. I haven't been hemmed up, I just always think of random questions like the one stated here (for ex, questions like: "are officers really allowed to put their hands in their pockets" and "why do some NCOs stand at parade rest for officers when I was told you're suppose to stand at attention.") I find that by looking up these random questions in regs and FMs, I learn a lot more about the Army than just the answer.
Since I've only been in a short time, I am also learning that not everything is in a reg or FM, some things are Army tradition and/or military bearing/courtesy. And of course, traditions and bearing are best learned through time and experience so I'll have to be a little more patient. Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it very much!
quote:
Originally posted by woods315:
(for ex, questions like: "are officers really allowed to put their hands in their pockets" and "why do some NCOs stand at parade rest for officers when I was told you're suppose to stand at attention.")

No (unless they're O-7 or above, see the first page of the Uniform reg) and "because they've not been trained correctly".

I'm like you, but you'll find an overwhelming amount of Soldiers do NOT read the regs/manuals. The trick is finding a way to share the knowledge without sounding like a know-it-all. Most people don't like being wrong and/or corrected. Wink It's easy for me now, Rank speaks in the Army.

PS- when are you going to the promotion board?
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
You're very welcome.

Most of the people who come on this forum to ask questions like that are Soldiers who've been hemmed up because they didn't stand at parade rest just because they were in civvies.

To me (enlisted 9.5yrs, NCO for 6.5yrs of that, now Warrant Officer) a lot of it depends on the situation. If I just bump into a Soldier I know at walmart I would never expect them to stand at attention (SAA) or parade rest (PR) when we just say hi and chat about the weekend.

Now if we were at Org day and they're in Civvies and so is the BN Commander it would be a little different- chatting would be fine but if there were in front of the unit being given a trophy or whatever of course they should SAA.

If I were to be chewing someone's butt for something serious I would expect them to be SAA no matter what they or I were wearing. (It's been very rare that I've "locked them up" though- even in uniform.)

And of course, even wearing civilian clothes at work, it would depend on the situation whether they should be PR or SAA or not.
(Like undercover operations, of course not.)

I agree but many soldiers now days have a lack of situational awareness and common sense.
I looked up those answers which I found in AR 670-1 and the wonderful, most basic 7-21.13. I also ask superiors and those with experience questions...A LOT!!! And you are right, people hate to be wrong or sound like they don't know what they're talking about. This is a military tradition I will never understand. I would rather be wrong than just run off at the mouth. I have yet to be told an answer to something that I didn't take the time to look up myself. Not to disrespect the people who told me or to prove them wrong (I usually don't even correct them bc I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, lol.) But bc I've noticed that so many NCOs were taught differently and come from different Army backgrounds and therefore have different answers. For ex: Combat arms NCOs have extremely different views and traditions than support units (from what I've noticed.)

I go to the SOM board on Dec 3. Then I will go to the Jan. promotion board. I just want to be a good, LEGIT NCO. That's why I ask so many questions. I just figure it's best to learn as much as I can before I go and try to lead anybody Smiler
I agree but many soldiers now days have a lack of situational awareness and common sense.[/QUOTE]

So many new Soldiers are still learning the Army lifestyle. The more seasoned vets assume we know everything they do. What seems like common sense to them, might make no sense to us less experienced. For ex: an NCO might think it's common sense to not stick your hands in your pockets bc it supposedly looks unprofessional. But if I see an NCO doing it at the range on a cold day, and sincerely don't know any better, then that isn't me lacking common sense. I'm just following my leadership. I think if a Soldier is sincere in asking questions and not being a smart ass, leaders should just answer their question or correct them.
Woods,

I am glad that a young Soldier is taking the time to actually want to learn the ways of the army. Most Soldiers we get now a days expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. I love to see Soldiers take the initiative and figure things out on their own. I also think that we have some young NCOs that don't teach the Soldiers anything because they do not know anything, just from lack of experience. They get promoted too fast and instead of opening up the regs, they just do nothing. I hope you continue on with your learning and become a great NCO.

I suggest reading up on Flags, bars, promotions and reductions, army weight control program, and counselings. Those are just some of the many vital areas that need to be known as an NCO.
Wow! I really appreciate the encouragement! And thank you for the recommended readings. I'm in the middle of reading FM 7-22.7 and I also bought the NCO Guide 9th Edition. I luckily have several really good NCOs who mentor me and several horrible NCOs I learn from too.

Thanks again for the support!

Add Reply

Likes (0)