Taking the option to get out while pregnant

About a month ago I found out I was pregnant. I am in the Louisiana NG and I have yet to go to basic. I was scheduled to leave at the end of March. At first I wanted to stay in the guard. But after a while of thinking about it, I've decided to keep the baby and get out. I signed the request at RSP a week ago. I want to have a military career, but not now. I've been upset a lot lately and so far my NG experience has been terrible. Anyway, I'm being told by the head of RSP that I still have to attend drill until my request has gone through or I will be AWOL. I have an ex-NG recruiter telling me that's bull. He said its just a threat and legally after signing that document, I do not have to attend drill and they can not do anything to me. Im so confused and I don't know who to believe. All I know is I do not want to go to drill, but I do not want to get in trouble for not going. Please someone help and tell me the truth. Thanks ahead of time.
Original Post
Forgot to add, I was told about NGR600.200. I looked that up and I don't understand where that applies to me...honestly I don't understand anything about that reg. Most of it was saying stuff about contacting the unit commander and such...I dont have a unit.
You do not have to attend. RSP was made up in order to make people feel more of an obligation to their contract and make it seem harder to get out of. If you have not gone to basic and you do not want to go to drill, don't. No matter what you RSP advisers try to tell you, they can not do anything. All they can do is threaten you. In fact, if you decide before basic that you no longer want a part of the military, you do not have to go. When you don't go, they discharge you. Don't worry about the cops showing up at your door. If you do not comply, they have to leave. Simple as that. Here are some regulations for you to look up to back up my story and give you more knowledge of what to expect. AR 135-91, section 3-4. Also, AR 630-10 sec. 5-2.
I agree with both your former recruiter and Rayne. I really hate to see soldiers leave without working through issues, but family is more important. I would never make a soldier feel like giving up a child for a military career is ever an option. I know a few soldiers that have gone through the same problem as you and they were able to continue their service. Certain rules apply of course. If you do get out now, please get a good family care plan in place and get back in as soon as possible, we need people like you that know what these decisions feel like. I'm proud of your decision no matter what happens. God bless!

Add Reply

Likes (0)