The new US Army Drill Sergeant School

DS_WANNAB, I'm currently stationed at Ft. Knox and have a report date to Leonard Wood of 5 JAN. Theres about 5 of us from Knox heading to Leonard Wood. I'm looking forward to getting out of here and starting something new in the Army. Hope Columbia is nice!
quote:
Originally posted by SoonToBeDS:
SSG Chaney,

I would like to first start off by saying thank you very much for finding the time to post your updates, it has deemed very helpful for me. I am excited about DS School, but a bit nervous. I am a DA Select, but I have only been in the Army for 4 years, and have never deployed. I also have worked behind a computer for the past 3 years, and I on average stand in a formation about once a year. I am not letting this slow me down, I realize this may be more of a challenge for me because of unfamilararity, but I know I can do it if I commit myself. I just have a couple questions that have not been covered, some are so I have something to look forward to, and some are just general good to know questions. How much time (weekends, days) do you get off per week if any? What do the hours look like so far, when do you usually begin and end a duty day? How long are the runs for PT? How many times have you gone to the field and how many/long ruck marches do you do? Where are you currently residing, barracks or the Fort Jackson Inn? The $32 dollars a day for perdiem, what does that go for? I realize this is a lot of questions, and they are probably annoying, but these are some of the things I was wondering about. Again thank you so much and I wish you the best of luck!

P.S. Where is your follow on assignment?
you will probably be like the basic trainee who never fired a weapon in his life was the easiest to train. get the things that you can control(pt and weight) in order and come to school with an open mind. you'll be ok. expect to work long and hard hours. that's what drill sgt do, right?
Good Afternoon to all, I am a DSL that just finished my mobilization orders at the USADSS 21 June 2012. I was a DSL at the DSS for three years. I have been following the discussions and I just decided to weigh in on a few things. First, make sure that you are in good physical shape prior to going to Drill Sergeant School. Like I have been reading in the discussions of one of the candidates, know Position of Attention, Rest Positions at the Halt, and Hand Salute. You do not have to know the modules word for word, just convey the message. You need to make sure you know the Soldier's Creed, Drill Sergeant Creed, know the history behind the DS hat and badge as well. Second, know how to give an effective PRT session, with that being said, know the exercises, Prep Drill, Hip Stability Drill, 4 for the Core, Conditioning Drill 1/2, Climbing Drill 1 and Climbing Drill 2 will be done at a later date during the cycle. You will need to know MMD1 and MMD2, and Push-up and Sit-up Drill, and last but not least the Recovery Drill. Third, you need to be motivated every single day because false motivation is better than no motivation at all. Fourth, use your manuals and know where to reference the information for yourself. You do not have to know everything; just know how to find the information that you need in a timely manner. Do not be afraid of making a mistake because yes, you will make a mistake and probably have to write an RBI for it. The last thing I would like to leave you with is this; know some cadence before going to the school. DS should be able to march soldiers from point A to point B in a uniform manner. I put several onto my IPod and I listened to them over and over until I knew them verbatim and then I started mixing in other cadences. I will let you know that you need to be confident in your abilities and you had better be flexible because you are going to need it. DS is not that difficult, but if you get there unprepared, it can be your worst nightmare. You will not get a lot of sleep while you are there. You will cut more grass at the school then you ever did at your unit or your own home, which is just what it is. Remember, that your DSLs are there to make you better and they will give you the best possible training, mentoring, and guiding that you can possibly get. I will give it to you black and white, just like with any Army school you will see those that meet the standards and graduate. I will leave it at that because once again it is what it is. I would like to say that, if you just be the best DS that you can be and give your soldiers your best, everything will take care of itself. How many of you remember your DS? So then, your soldiers will remember you the same way. DS is a legacy that I really enjoyed very much.

I know that I have probably bored half of my audience to death, but I would like to say, that I was a 51 year old DSL and ask any of the SDSLs or DSLs about me and they will tell you, this old dude loved his job because I did. I gave 110% every single day at the school. So then, study, study, and study even harder and come out on top. I will be on the board daily because at my new unit is much more laid back and not as up tempo as the USADSS. I miss it every day!
awesomedrill, My class starts Sept 12th and I was told that because of previous end of course critiques that they will no longer take your BAS from you during your time at DSS. Do you know if this is correct? I just turned 46 in June and was DA selected for Drill. I've been studying for a hour every night for about 2 months and really looking forward to my class starting! Thanks for the insight on what to expect coming from a former DSL.
retiredmsg, All the questions you asked I am thinking the same thing lol.

awesomedrill, I did not get bored, I really appreciate you responding to us. I feel like I'm the only one who volunteered. I am an E5 Non Promotable. Will I be treated any different from everyone else?
I miss being a DS as well. I came off the trail February of this year. I volunteered to be a DS and I enjoyed it. I only wanted to do two years but I ended doing three. I did 17 months as a DS in BCT and 19 months at the DSS. Those years were the best three years of my career. Nothing like seeing the finished product every ten weeks. Alot of people who do not want to be a DS do not look forward to the school or the next two to three years. But if you are open minded about it and give 100% you will be fine. Because once you get back to regular Army you will have to enforce the standards and once you have became a DS you will never be the same.
Thanks to everyone eho has taken the time to contribute valuable info to this blog. It has been very helpful as I try to prep because I was feeling a little stressed abot the modules. I am scheduled to attend DSS on 23 JAN and wondering if any other classmates have discovered this blog....class 502?

@jlaw, are you in this class?
I am also scheduled to attend the Jan 23 class. Very nervous, but like others this blog has really helped.

I guess a general question would be what are some things that you wish you would have brought with you that you either did without or had to buy?
@MI_DS yes I am in that class sorry I have taken so long to reply been very busy. I think we are all really nervous. It was so far away but now its like just around the corner. Right now I'm preparing to get my travel card together I just hope that I make it because everyone is already calling me drill sergeant don't want to let my unit or myself down.
np jlaw. I think we all have a sense of pride, demonstrated by taking the time to research and prepare ahead of time. All the people you dont want to let down will be your motivation to get through.

Has anyone found any major differences between the DSS module book and the D&C TC (3-21.5)?

I am currently in SLC, the 1SG here is a former DS. She recommended ensuring you can do push-ups the "PRT way"..meaning elbows against your side. Most males do this anyway, but it could be an adjustment for females, as they typically favor the wide arm push-ups and this way uses different muscles.

45 days!!!
I am currently serving in the Georgia Army National Guard as a Recruiter and have been since 2007. Im in great shape and always keep fitness as a priority simply because I go out each day representing the Army and the National Guard. i was in the Marine Corps for 10 years and always dream of becoming a DI. I guess God had other plans for me so I am extremely excited about earning the title of Drill Sergeant! I report in Jan 23 and I am abit nervous because I still have that marine thing that I cant seem to get rid of when marching. Are there any prior service Marines that have attend DSS with any advice. Thanks
hello all will be headed to school in February and am wondering if anyone has any info or know whom i can talk to about injuries from down range. Unfortunately this is something i will not overcome. If there are any DSLs here your input will be greatly appreciated.
Awesomedrill,
I was not bored at all, you actually made me more excited about the opportunity. I just transfered to a unit for pre-mob to Afganistan and the day I reported was handed promotion orders to E-6 with a TRNG BN. I wanted to get one more deployment in, however, being the NCO I am and love training, I think I will just report to TRNG BN now rather than after deployment. Thanks for your tips, it helped me outline a study guide. In addition, I will never forget my DS, DS Smith, at 42 years old, I still remember what he did for me as a 20 year old. That thought alone, having the opportunity to have a Soldier remember me for 22 years giving him all I have at 110% motivates me and takes the nervous edge off a bit.
You are authorized to bring ur pov or rental. No issue almost everyone has their cars here and do what they want on their off time. Rentals are author allowed and u get inandaround mileage if I recall correctly.also when doing dts hare authorized money for laundry as well. It all in the guide from the website if u need verification. The only unauthorized vehicles are motorcycles. Ifanyone else has questions just ask.I'm in drill sgtt school until 27 Mar
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Chaney:
Ok, I apologize, but I can't stand with you all on this one. From a Drill Sergeant School perspective, I understand getting us certified as we will be teaching it to "civilians". A lot of these kids have never been in a fight, never been hit, and combatives is a major part in building up their confidence. I think it should stay in BCT so I think certification should stay at the school.

That being said, I think the program needs revamped. Level one teaches you ground work and how to achieve the clinch (while getting blasted in the face). How many fights start out on the ground? The program should have the Soldiers start on their feet with basic punches, kicks, and standing chokes/clinches. Each level after that would incorporate more advanced tactics with ground fighting being in the last level. That way, when you go to achieve the clinch, you can hit back...like a real fight. I can't think of any situation that I may have to grab up an enemy but not be able to hit him back. I guarantee that would save on injuries once the stundent is swinging back at the teacher-and this would give Soldiers a more realistic way to conduct hand to hand combat.

Valid point, Combatives is a skill that keeps the Soldier focused and builds Espirit De Corps in your unit and keeps morale up. It allows you to blow off steam, That said I am level 2 certified. I did it in a three week block and it was rough we had numerous injuries. I had my neck cranked and a few of my other NCO's that did the classes back to back with my suffered some broken ribs. Level 1 is the basics, it teaches you basic evasion and to obtain dominant positions as well as the very basic offensive choking and arm bars. Level 2 takes you to your feet, and teaches you more MMA style and advanced techniques of Modern Combatives. If you ask me I feel as though every soldier should be level 2 certified because you redo everything you learned in level 1 when you begin level 2 the first few days as a review. From what I have heard about level 3 is that it is more tactical, and teaches you more disarming, and more detainee handling operations. I believe it is a four week course and is grueling and intensive. Level 4 is pretty much a gentlemans course, and it teaches you more or less on how to instruct and grade tournaments. You can certify up to level 2 on your own.
Hello everyone, I can see all the post in here took place a while ago. With that said, I am preparing to attend DSS in September, I am currently OCONUS so I have been told that I'm going to go to my unit first(Ft. Sill) before reporting to Jackson. I am currently E5/P non combat MOS. Wondering how will the process go, a little nervous now after reading all these post.
Soon to be DS,

Don't be nervous, it's not at all as bad as you'd think. Though sometimes it is mentally exhausting.

Being OCONUS you will PCS to whatever installation and unit you'll be at the UNITED STATES ARMY DRILL SERGEANT ACADEMY, I know that everyone calls is Drill Sergeant School, but they changed it and they'll flip if they hear you call it a school. Anyway, you'll probably be at your unit and able to job shadow so to speak. Then you'll head to the academy. Nothing too special will really happen, though you'll know what battalion you're at least going to. From what I've heard they don't really keep the ones that come from OCONUS in their specific companies until they get the hat and badge.

Add Reply

Likes (1)
wannabds