The Truth about 68V?

Neena,

I applaud you for having the initiative and motivation to get your degree.

Something that is often misunderstood about respiratory therapy programs (military and civilian) is that they must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC). Without this accreditation, graduates will not be able to practice because they will be unable to take the certification exam and, without credentials, licenses will not awarded by the states. One of the requirements for accreditation by CoARC is that the program must award at a minimum an associates degree in respiratory therapy. No other degree is acceptable.

I have listed the requirments for admission on an earlier post (dated September 13, 2013). Army students will take English Comp II, College Math, and Intro to Psychology when they arrive here. Even if you've had them before, you will still take them. Although it may sound like a waste of time to some, I have seen firsthand how beneficial the first 8 weeks of college courses have been to the students. Study skills and habits are developed and honed, and students begin to understand the seriousness with which we, and eventually they, take this program.

If you're up for a challenge and want to learn a health care profession that is always in demand, I invite you to apply through your Career Counselor.

Best of luck,
Oscar Lopez-Martinez, MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Director of Clinical Education
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX
oscar.lopez-martinez.civ@mail.mil
Office: (210) 808-3781
Fax: (210) 808-3771
bobbysmith22,

Look at the post I submitted on 19 November 2013. It tells you everything I think you should do between now and the time you show up for class.

Good luck.

Director of Clinical Education
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX
oscar.lopez-martinez.civ@mail.mil
Office: (210) 808-3781
Fax: (210) 808-3771
hey all, I am prepping to go to the school here in may and I have just recently heard some odd things about the way that they are treating nco's and other prior service soldiers there on Ft. Sam Houston. Basically treating them like IET soldiers. I am an E5 and just curious if any of these things are true in the 68v class. Thanks.
You can live off post if you are married, but PS will be treated very similiar to IET.

It won't be as bad as your 1st MOS, you will see what I mean when you get there. Things like drinking alcohol in your off time will be off limits, but you will be able to drive.

All in all it is worth the headache.
TRADOC 350-6 is clear on how Prior Service personnel are to be treated. Check out Chapter 4-8, paragraph 5:

(5) Privileges for reclassified and prior service personnel.
(a) Although reclassified Soldiers are subject to IET policies and procedures, their privileges are the same as those of permanent party members of equal grade. They are treated with the dignity and respect due their grade. (bold by me)

Essentially, this say the privileges have to be the same between Prior service students/Cadre. For instance, they used to let E-6 Cadre members and above call in to sign out on leave here. But they stopped when they realized they had to let the students do it also. Another example: Pass mileage ranges. They have to be the same for PS/Permanent Party. A third example: A 1SG once tried to 'confine' student NCOs to post for the weekend, but not permanent party. No Go.

I can vouch for the IG interpreting the reg this way for the examples I put out there.

Have a good time.
I am glad you posted the information, but I understand even Physician Assistants have similar guidelines (at least for not drinking ANY alcohol).

No real deal breaker, professional students should be focused on work instead of play. It is still an outstanding opportunity for Enlisted Soldiers to produce a quantifiable trade that carries them forward in the Military and eventually the Civilian world.
Thank you for the information, Mr. Lopez-Martinez and Corvette. I was just able to secure a May 15 slot for the School and am looking forward to attending. I can attest to the difficulty of obtaining a slot for class, I've been trying to get one for months and there was only one open slot when I went in recently. I jumped on it and am very excited for the opportunity. I look forward to working with you.

Add Reply

Likes (0)