I recently changed TPU's upon promotion to SSG. I just came off ADOS-RC orders for USSOCOM and have new ADOS-RC orders for the same team that started today and run for a full year until 30 SEP 2015.
I missed the last WOSB for my MOS waiting for a medical waiver that has now been granted. Since then my Accessions NCO has ETS'd and I have a new one for my new TPU, who mostly does Officer Accessions and doesn't do warrant packets very often as there are no WO slots in the units she serves. (She works with my TPU; the CW2 slot I have reserved is with an ARE in a different command.)
This new Accessions NCO tells me that I must have less than six months left on my ADOS orders to drop a packet, and that when I get picked up I will need to REFRAD immediately in order to to go to WOCS.
None of the WO's I work with believe this is correct; two of the three were selected while on orders, one while deployed and one while ADOS, and both finished their tours and went to WOCS after their orders were up. Granted, this was a while ago. However, I was ADOS-RC last year when I submitted my packet the first time, and this issue wasn't mentioned.
- Has there been a change in policy?
I checked with another Accessions NCO for another unit, and he didn't seem to think this was correct, either (he believes that what my Accessions NCO said is the case for Officer Accessions, though) but he has no visibility on policy as this is a rare issue and he's never dealt with it. His understanding is that my WOCS date can be pushed back until the end of my orders no problem -- I just submit my orders with my packet -- but this is not an option for officers, who must REFRAD upon acceptance.
- Does anyone know if it's possible to push back my WOCS date until after my orders end?
I've checked AR 135-100 and can't find anything about ADOS orders, nor Reserve WOC's on tour. There is also nothing in the messages on the WO Accessions site.
- Does anyone have eyes on this policy or where I can find it?
- If this is the case -- if I must REFRAD upon selection -- would I be out of line to put a memo in my packet requesting an exception to policy, so that I can go to the November board but request a school date after my orders end? I could have it signed by an O-5 or possibly an O-6, and the memo would include my orders, of course.
- Whom can I contact to determine for sure? I really don't want to go directly to the CW5 for my MOS with this.
My ADOS-RC orders are for a high-speed gig as a SME for USSOCOM. This position is fiercely competitive; the selection process involves a packet and interviews and my duties include briefing our TSOC commander. It's not the kind of thing I can really just walk away from even if I wanted to, as I have a unique skill set and my team was extended a year to preserve unit integrity. I'll wait if I must. However, this coming board has postponed submissions for my WO MOS until 27 OCT due to need, and I have a slot reserved already, so I'd really like to go to this board if there's any possible way for me to do so and still finish my tour.
I apologize for the many questions. Any answers are much appreciated.