I have always been told by my chain of command that walking and talking on cell phones are prohibited along with wearing the bluetooth at all while in uniform. That you can only stand in the same spot and talk on the phone. I have looked through my 3ID Marne standard book and through AR 670-1 and had no luck. Is this rule Army wide and if so where can it be found?
Original Post
Wearing of the bluetooth is now prohibited thanks to a recent ALARACT Message. I don't think walking and talking is prohibited Army wide, but I know it was at Ft. Campbell when I left there. Even if it isn't prohibited stop and think about it for a second. Is it really professional to walk and talk in uniform. I never do and impress that upon my Soldier as well.
I was stationed at Ft. Campbell aswell and that was the rule. My unit has been reassigned from there to Hunter AAF, and it seems like that rule came along with it. I understand the reasons behind it. It was just a pop up question from my Battalion Commander. I am still looking for some concrete proof if anyone has any.
I've never seen any concrete proof about it, but then again, I've never really tried looking for it. I've always accepted it as it was because it seems unprofessional to be walking and talking on your cell phone. I get aggravated whenever I see soldiers walking and talking on their cell phones, especially here in Iraq, or while they're crossing the street. Really smart.
I can understand not crossing the street and being on your cell phone, that's just asking for it. I know the rule applied at Ft. Bragg when I was there. As far as it making a soldier look unprofessional, I don't know about all that. The only reason I can pull out of my 4th point of contact as to why a soldier shouldn't walk and talk on a cell phone, is in the event the are approaching or being approached by an officer. You certainly don't want to render a salute while jaw jacking with your buddy, although I've seen it. Outside of that I really don't see what the big deal is.
There is an update to AR670-1 that permits the use of blue tooh devices while in uniform. I will attach the message that shows the updates to 670-1.

UNCLAS

FROM
DA WASHINGTON DC//DAPE-HRI//

TO ALARACT

INFO
DA WASHINGTON DC//DALO-SMT//
DA WASHINGTON DC//DAPE-HRI//

SUBJECT: AR 670-1, 3 FEB 05, WEAR AND APPEARANCE OF ARMY UNIFORMS AND INSIGNIA

1. THIS MESSAGE SERVES AS IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGES TO THE WEAR POLICY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1 AND MESSAGES OUTLINING THE WEAR POLICY FOR THE ARMY COMBAT UNIFORM (ACU).

2. EFFECTIVE 1 NOVEMBER 2006 THE ARMY WHITE UNIFORM IS NO LONGER AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR.

3. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-14A IS CHANGED TO READ: SOLDIERS MAY WEAR A WRISTWATCH, A WRIST IDENTIFICATION BRACELET, AND A TOTAL OF TWO RINGS (A WEDDING SET IS CONSIDERED ONE RING) WITH ARMY UNIFORMS, UNLESS PROHIBITED BY THE COMMANDER FOR SAFETY OR HEALTH REASONS. ANY JEWELRY SOLDIERS WEAR MUST BE CONSERVATIVE AND IN GOOD TASTE. IDENTIFICATION BRACELETS ARE LIMITED TO MEDICAL ALERT BRACELETS, MIA/POW IDENTIFICATION BRACELETS, AND REMEMBRANCE BRACELETS. SOLDIERS MAY WEAR ONLY ONE ITEM ON EACH WRIST.

4. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-14B IS CHANGED TO READ: JEWELRY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-14A AND PENS/PENCILS WORN IN THE PEN/PENCIL SLOTS ON THE ACU COAT CAN BE EXPOSED. NOTE: THERE ARE NO STIPULATIONS ON THE COLORS OR PENS/PENCILS WORN IN THE SLOTS OF THE ACU COAT. OTHER AUTHORIZED EXCEPTIONS ARE RELIGIOUS ITEMS DESCRIBED IN AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-7B, A CONSERVATIVE TIE TACK OR TIE CLASP THAT MALE SOLDIERS MAY WEAR WITH THE BLACK FOUR-IN-HAND NECKTIE; AND A PEN OR PENCIL THAT MAY APPEAR EXPOSED ON THE HOSPITAL DUTY, FOOD SERVICE, COMBAT VEHICLE CREWMAN UNIFORM, OR FLIGHT UNIFORMS.

5. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-9A(2)(B) IS CHANGED TO PROHIBIT WEAR OF WIRELESS BLUETOOTH DEVICES WHILE WEARING ARMY UNIFORMS.

6. AS AN EXCEPTION TO CURRENT POLICY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-15, SUNGLASSES THAT HAVE BEEN ISSUED BY THE ARMY WITH INITIALS, DESIGNS, OR OTHER ADORNMENT ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR. THE REMAINING WEAR POLICY OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-15 STILL APPLY.

7. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-10E(2) IS CHANGED TO AUTHORIZE WEAR OF THE BLACK, ACU UNIVERSAL PATTERN, AND FOLIAGE GREEN GYM BAGS, CIVILIAN RUCKSACKS, OR OTHER SIMILAR CIVILIAN BAGS WHILE IN UNIFORM. THE REMAINING WEAR POLICIES OUTLINED IN AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-10E(2)
STILL APPLY.

8. NON-SUBDUED SSI (S) ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE WORN ON UTILITY UNIFORMS AS A SSI OR SSI-FWTS. LEADERS WILL ENSURE SOLDIERS COMPLY IMMEDIATELY. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO POLICY CURRENTLY APPROVED AUTHORIZING WEAR OF ANY NON-SUBDUED SSI ON UTILITY UNIFORMS.

9. COMBAT, SPECIAL SKILL, AND IDENTIFICATION BADGES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE WORN ON THE ACU IN FIELD OR WITHIN DEPLOYED ENVIRONMENTS.

10. SUBDUED PIN ON OR SEWN ON RANK IS WORN ON THE ACU SUN (BOONIE) HAT AND THE ACU PATROL CAP.

11. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPHS 6-2C(4), 6-5E, AND 12-2C(1) IS CHANGED AUTHORIZING WEAR OF THE BLACK LEATHER BOOTS, TAN COMBAT BOOTS, OR OPTIONAL TAN BOOTS SIMILAR TO THE TAN COMBAT BOOTS WITH THE AIRCREW BATTLE DRESS UNIFORM AND THE FLIGHT UNIFORM.

12. THE MILITARY POLICE (MP) AND CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION DIVISION (CID) INSIGNIAS ARE AUTHORIZED TO BE WORN ON THE ACU. THE INSIGNIAS ARE PLACED DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE HOOK AND LOOP-FACED PAD ALREADY PROVIDED ON THE LEFT SLEEVE OF THE ACU COAT SHOULDER POCKET FLAP. THE INSIGNIAS ARE WORN AS DIRECTED BY THE COMMANDER.

13. POC FOR UNIFORM POLICY IS SGM K. EASLEY, DSN 225-5287; COMM. (703) 695-5287. E-MAIL IS KATRINA.EASLEY@HQDA.ARMY.MIL.

14. THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE DCS, G-1.

15. THIS AUTHORITY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

16. EXPIRATION. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE UPON NEXT PUBLICATION OF
AR 670-1.
I just dont get why its so hard to either stand in one spot finish your conversation and drive on. Or just call the person when you reach your destination. It looks very unprofessional walking and talking on your cell phone. Just like walking a smoking. Remember the regs can be added to by the commander.
There is no reg that states that walking and talking on a cell phone while in uniform is prohibited. However, it does look very unprofessional. Think about the gestures we tend to make while talking on a cell phone. They can be very unprofessional at times. The body language we tend to display, the jerking around we tend to do when we hear something that sparks our interest. Also, you cannot salute or be saluted if everyone is busy walking and talking on a cell phone. It only looks professional in the civilian corporate world because they don't have customs and courtesies that they need to abide by. They don't have to stand at attention when talking to an CEO or go to parade rest when addressing their office manager. In the corporate world you don't salute the head of a corporate organization. In the military though you have to execute on those customs and courtesies and look professional while doing so, even if you are a dirtbag.
Why ask why? Just do what your told to do by the leadership and drive on. If it's not immoral, illegal, or unethical, just execute. You spend more time arguing and trying to find ways around things then the actual time it takes to finish your cigarette or the time it takes to say "Hey, can I call you back in 5 minutes?"
Standing tall and looking good. We represent the ARMY and wear this uniform with pride. Army Reg has its restrictions on what to wear and what not to wear. Cell phones, cigarettes, chewing gum in formation, etc may not be mentioned in the REG but they are things that take away from being an ARMY Soldier and the uniform. It is also considered a distraction.

Soldiers will take it the way they want to take it. Failing to realize the ARMY has a standard. If you do not like it this way then you do not belong in this ARMY.
Wearing a blue tooth device is like wearing Headphone on ur ipod, zune or what ever u have. It reduces the amount of hearing on that side of the head. So that is why its not allowed whiling wearing ur uniform. To me I do not like the blue tooth because u see someone talking and u think that there talking to you and then u notice the war piece. Ive had this happen to me and I don't thinks its professional at all. Your just being lazy thats all. So there.
quote:
Originally posted by 19D-Scouts Out:
yeah I had a friend get chewed out by a 1sgt for walking and smoking and I also seen someone get it for walking and talking with a blue tooth in there ear so its just one of them things thats not in a reg but its the standard.


Actually the regulation was just updated to reflect that you can use bluetooth while in uniform while operating a vehicle, but once you get out you need to take it off...if you want me to I'll look it up again and provide you the specific source.
I had my blue tooth head set on walking into walmart the other day and a 1SG squared me away on that no big deal. You only have to tell me once. I agree to extent about that walking and talking on phones, smoking etc. It can look very unprofessional depending on where you are at(would not reccomend doing it while you are walking up to youre head quarters building). I know when i was in the Marines you couldnt walk and smoke, chew food, drink, just about everything. They were real big on that stuff
Here, bluetooth is OK while driving, but post policy says no to using it while walking. I still see people walking around with their phone's on speakerphone..trying to get around the reg. Not only are they still wrong, but they look stupid at the same time.


Pet peeve of mine..I hate seeing NCO's walking down the street talking away with their cell phone to their ear. This is not a new reg.
OK, I finally ran into a situation where I was asked why I was walking and smoking. I have been waiting for this not to challenge, but actually see this policy. Anyways, a 1SG stopped me and asked me if I heard of the Army's no smoking and walking policy. I told him I have heard but when I ask to see it, it cant be found. This 1SG then asked if I plan to continue to break Army regulation. I, of course, said no, but asked him what Army Regulation can I reference this to. He, of course said come to his office and he will show it to me and then again I asked, what AR is this policy in so I can D/L it from USAPA and have it for myself. He then said its not in a AR but signed by his commander who is Mayor of the FOB where I am located. I then said ok, I understand that there is a signed local policy which he will show me for which we went to his office and he showed me. My comment to 1SG is this, I understand that smoking and walking, smoking in general actually, does not look professional in many eyes. So I said, why is there smoking areas located generally in the open and not in some cubby, so to speak, to remove the unprofessional look. Secondly, since a local policy so profound on most army installations, why is it not in Army Regulation? I presume to say that there are legality issues. I find that there is no safety issue as with the cell phone and walking as a person talking on the phone is paying attention to who is on the line and not what is going on around him/her. My point is that if it is so unprofessional, make it standard per Army Reg, not local policy. That way the standard is across the Army, and that local commanders don't have to waste time and additional energy to promote something that is so unprofessional.
quote:
5. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-9A(2)(B) IS CHANGED TO PROHIBIT WEAR OF WIRELESS BLUETOOTH DEVICES WHILE WEARING ARMY UNIFORMS.



PROHIBIT
1.to forbid (an action, activity, etc.) by authority or law
2.to forbid the action of (a person).
3.to prevent; hinder.


Not that all personnel in the Army use common sense but if you can't use your phone with bluetooth why even try and use it without one. I can understand that some people have issued cell phones but I think that cell phones should not even be allowed to be used during work hours unless it's on your own time. That's just my opinion but it would most likely end all the confusion with the regulations.

Here's the other thing I don't get. Soldiers in uniform are prohibited from wearing bluetooth. Now, why wouldn't that carry over to a vehicle if your in uniform? I know most posts allow the use of wireless but what if your in uniform?
quote:
Originally posted by 94Y SSG:
OK, I finally ran into a situation where I was asked why I was walking and smoking. I have been waiting for this not to challenge, but actually see this policy. Anyways, a 1SG stopped me and asked me if I heard of the Army's no smoking and walking policy. I told him I have heard but when I ask to see it, it cant be found. This 1SG then asked if I plan to continue to break Army regulation. I, of course, said no, but asked him what Army Regulation can I reference this to. He, of course said come to his office and he will show it to me and then again I asked, what AR is this policy in so I can D/L it from USAPA and have it for myself. He then said its not in a AR but signed by his commander who is Mayor of the FOB where I am located. I then said ok, I understand that there is a signed local policy which he will show me for which we went to his office and he showed me. My comment to 1SG is this, I understand that smoking and walking, smoking in general actually, does not look professional in many eyes. So I said, why is there smoking areas located generally in the open and not in some cubby, so to speak, to remove the unprofessional look. Secondly, since a local policy so profound on most army installations, why is it not in Army Regulation? I presume to say that there are legality issues. I find that there is no safety issue as with the cell phone and walking as a person talking on the phone is paying attention to who is on the line and not what is going on around him/her. My point is that if it is so unprofessional, make it standard per Army Reg, not local policy. That way the standard is across the Army, and that local commanders don't have to waste time and additional energy to promote something that is so unprofessional.



The issue of "why isn't it an AR rather than a local policy" is because it takes more work to push it to DA to make it an AR. I'm not certain what the exact process is but I'm sure it takes alot of brass to make it happen. However once it becomes an AR, all members of the Army will be required to adhere to the reg, and there are NCO's and a whole slew of officers who tend to act as if they are above the regs and they aren't going to like it when corporal Snuffy tactfully informs them that there conversation or cigarette, however important it may be, should be continued at a stand still. Just my two cents.
quote:
Originally posted by MikePN:
quote:
5. AR 670-1, PARAGRAPH 1-9A(2)(B) IS CHANGED TO PROHIBIT WEAR OF WIRELESS BLUETOOTH DEVICES WHILE WEARING ARMY UNIFORMS.




Here's the other thing I don't get. Soldiers in uniform are prohibited from wearing bluetooth. Now, why wouldn't that carry over to a vehicle if your in uniform? I know most posts allow the use of wireless but what if your in uniform?



B/c policy states that for safety reasons if you want to talk on the phone while operating a vehicle you have to wear bluetooth, its more of a common sense thing than anything else.
Let me tell you about something that happended to me today. I was walking down the sidewalk holding my duaghter's hand as my wife walked in front of us. I looked up to see a male passing me by as a Soldier in uniform walked behind him. This female SSG was talking on her Bluetooth with NO headgear. I can't believe what our NCO corps has become. Are you kidding me? The parking lot was at least 200 m from the building. We have gotten lazy, incompetant and childish in our acts and deeds. Do we need a reg stamped " DA approved" to know what is right? Does it feel right? Do you think that it looks right? What does AR 600-20 say about calling each other "Sarge"? What does it say about calling each other by our first name? Do you even know what the reg says or have you even cracked it? What do you think a Soldier would think if you they saw you walking down the sidewalk with a Bluetooh hanging off your ear and you passed them by? Do we need to be told that walking and smoking/eating/talking on the cellphone or wearing a Bluetooth is wrong? Do you think that it looks professional? We may not write policy but I ensure you that somewhere along that chain some NCO put their two cents if not three on what looks right while in uniform or out of it. Check you six because some Soldier is watching you and trying to figure out what is right. I tell all my Soliders you learn from good leaders and bad. You either learn how to be like them or how to be NOT like them.
quote:
Originally posted by OH-58D KW Armt:
Let me tell you about something that happended to me today. I was walking down the sidewalk holding my duaghter's hand as my wife walked in front of us. I looked up to see a male passing me by as a Soldier in uniform walked behind him. This female SSG was talking on her Bluetooth with NO headgear. I can't believe what our NCO corps has become. Are you kidding me? The parking lot was at least 200 m from the building. We have gotten lazy, incompetant and childish in our acts and deeds. Do we need a reg stamped " DA approved" to know what is right? Does it feel right? Do you think that it looks right? What does AR 600-20 say about calling each other "Sarge"? What does it say about calling each other by our first name? Do you even know what the reg says or have you even cracked it? What do you think a Soldier would think if you they saw you walking down the sidewalk with a Bluetooh hanging off your ear and you passed them by? Do we need to be told that walking and smoking/eating/talking on the cellphone or wearing a Bluetooth is wrong? Do you think that it looks professional? We may not write policy but I ensure you that somewhere along that chain some NCO put their two cents if not three on what looks right while in uniform or out of it. Check you six because some Soldier is watching you and trying to figure out what is right. I tell all my Soliders you learn from good leaders and bad. You either learn how to be like them or how to be NOT like them.


Did you not stop and correct this NCO? What would a junior Soldier think if he saw one NCO pass another NCO who was violating regulation and not say anything?

I know what my CSM would do about this. He'd stop both NCOs and dig into both of their asses equally.

It takes a brave person to openly violate regulation but it takes an even braver person to do the right thing and correct that individual.
Here in Hawaii it just came out that we are allowed to walk and talk on a cell phone. Bluetooths I save for my office and car though. I still see people get harassed for doing it by people that apparently didn't get the memo, which is why I don't personally do it, but by post rules we are allowed to.
haha I saw a Soldier yesterday walking down the street with his "backpack" with the strap across his chest, so I stop and correct him, and continue on my way home (he looked mad but fixed it anywayz)...Soooo, I am driving to work today, and who do I see, walking down the same street, with the same "backpack"? yup that same Soldier, so I stop "Hey, didnt I correct you about this already? fix it, that is twice, TWICE!" And went to work, holy crap the guy knows it wrong, was told the day before to fix it, yet he does it again, and to top it off, it was me again that had to correct him the second time.
Today I seen this O-5 in the px with his head set and this Gunny in the marines came up and not o nicely told him to remove it. Most of the I am more then happy to make an on the spot correction. But I figured a 0-5 knew better. Plus I could tell by his patch that he was permanent party and not a reservist. Now what kind of made me mad was the way the gunny was talking to this field grade officer. And I started to say something to him about it. But what do I like a E-4 rushing to an O-5 defense.
I wear mine in public sometimes, not often, but do sometimes.... I'm only a level 31 elf though Frowner

Seriously though, I wear it sometimes cause I might be outside doing something that requires both hands and it's more of a convenience then anything.

However... I do not wear it in uniform period, that's what I have a bluetooth in my car for.
I don't agree that to walk and talk looks unprofessional. As long as the phone is in your left hand and you can extend the proper courtisies then talk as long as it is sparingly. Now as an MP we are required to have our phones on us at all times to contact the desk and patrol supervisors. So in response to the comment of Soldiers should not have there phones at all while in uniform is implausible.
quote:
Originally posted by hour4chris:
I don't agree that to walk and talk looks unprofessional. As long as the phone is in your left hand and you can extend the proper courtisies then talk as long as it is sparingly. Now as an MP we are required to have our phones on us at all times to contact the desk and patrol supervisors. So in response to the comment of Soldiers should not have there phones at all while in uniform is implausible.


I don't think many people are arguing that you shouldn't be allowed to have a cell phone on you while in uniform. It's ridiculous to think that would ever be enforced seeing that you need it for family emergencies, for your supervisor to contact you, etc. What is being debated is whether or not walking and talking on your cell phone is an acceptable and professional practice. And it isn't. It's disrespectful to the officer or senior NCO you're passing because you're unable to give them your undivided attention, whether you're able to give them a greeting or not. Also being able to walk and talk on your phone causes you to develop complacent tendencies by not always being able to focus on the environment around you. That's certainly not a habit that Soldiers need to develop in this time of high OPTEMPO and deployments to dangerous areas.
quote:
Originally posted by nimbus3215:
This should not be an issue. Show me one person that actually wears a blue tooth in public and I am willing to bet they are a level 63 elf on world of warcraft!


I wear a bluetooth piece in public quite often, sadly I'm no 63 level elf, but I am a mother of two who tends to have her hands very full most of the time, without having to worry about holding a damn cell phone when my husband calls from Iraq....
very good point satcom about the "undivided attention" but they really dont need a cell phone to not give you any attention...when I was a PVT I was told I should be the first one to say the greeting of the day to anybody higher ranking than me....whether thats regulation or not, I think its a pretty good courtesy, right? Well I noticed that no matter whether they are higher ranking or lower ranking Im usually the one that gives the greeting of the day to others...now it doesnt bother me b/c we are all humans so respect goes both ways....ok im done venting LOL
The point I was trying to make, and I did so poorly, is that while on duty it is common practice to walk and talk, on your phone, if on a mission. When not on a call, or mission if you will, then by all means stop and finish the conversation but honestly how long does it take to lower the phone and give the greeting of the day or render a salute. I have seen more higher NCO's and Officers chew out lower soldiers for walking and talking then turning around and jumping right on their phones. How is that right?
All posts are required to have a written policy or regulation on walking and smoking, and use of cell phones. When I was at Fort Irwin, it was in writing that we could not use blue tooth, wireless or any type of cell device while driving or while in uniform at all. Not even standing in one spot.
It is against Army Regulation as well. Not professional. Bluetooth devices are also banned while on duty. It is unprofessional. There was a Major the other day with his cell phone. At least he wasn't walking. He was holding it with his right hand. I saluted him. He saluted me back.... with his LEFT hand.

There is no conversation that important.
_______________
Military gifts specialists offer a select range of custom designed Army Rings for all branches of the armed services.
Likes (0)
Post
×
×
×
×