weight and size questions

yeah me and a buddy are really thinking of signing up for the army, but for basic idk my friend was worried about his weight and that hed weigh too much, will they make exception if he can qualify or wont they let him even try first? and im not the biggest guy ever Smiler but i can run a mile in 7:30, and do situps and pushups, but is there a min. weight?
Original Post
k thank you for the tables it helped, my buddy is worried cause hes over that weight but hes really trying to lose it by this summer so we can start this summer, and idk ive got a friend in basic right now and he said as long as he tries his hardest, and as long as they can tell that hes trying to get into shape theyd let him in
I'm the "large" friend JDawg has been talking about lol. I'm fairly sure they just changed the weight table, as I remember nothing last week of 184 lbs for 69"...

If i'm within about 20 lbs of this mark and able to pass the preliminary PT test will I be allowed to continue basic?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
From AR 40-501 - Standards of Medical Fitness

2–20. Height
The causes for disqualification are:
a. Men: Height below 60 inches or over 80 inches is disqualifying.
b. Women: Height below 58 inches or over 80 inches is disqualifying.

2–21. Weight
a. Army applicants for initial appointment as commissioned officers (to include appointment as commissioned
warrant officers) must meet the standards of AR 600–9. Body fat composition is used as the final determinant in
evaluating an applicant’s acceptability when the weight exceeds that listed in the weight tables.
b. All other applicants must meet the standards of tables 2-l and 2–2. Body fat composition is used as the final determinant in evaluating an applicant’s acceptability when the weight exceeds that listed in the weight tables.

Enlisted look at Table 2-2 in AR 40-501.

Hope that helps.

Edit **

Kelsey Lee, Looks like your good.
quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel1911:
I'm the "large" friend JDawg has been talking about lol. I'm fairly sure they just changed the weight table, as I remember nothing last week of 184 lbs for 69"...

If i'm within about 20 lbs of this mark and able to pass the preliminary PT test will I be allowed to continue basic?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lets worry about enlisting first before you worry about basic, its not all about the weight as someone already mentioned if you can pass the body fat tape test then you are fine, and if you fail that but you can pass the ARMS test then you are still good to go...they are about to change the requirements (to let even heavier people in) so males that have 32% can take the ARMS test and females that have 38% can take it also but it is not official yet...yeah its good to get people in but its bad for image, we have all seen the "There is Strong (Marine smiling) then there is Army Strong (WAY WAY WAY FAT FAT HUGE guy in PT that he had to get specially made to fit him in the background) picture so come on people....
well i got married after my diployment and i was i really good wait durring my diployment i bulked up a little and was 145 lbs and 5foot 4in since ive been married and my new unit crap of pt ive gained 22lbs now over wait and bad shape im really upset on this would a water diet be the best thing for me
if you are within 20 lbs of you required weight you can most likely join if you go by the body fat requirements.. i highly doubt if you only 20 lbs over your allowed weight that you would be above the body fat requirement too.. should check with your recruiter

Add Reply

Likes (0)