Which Audie Murphy bio should I be memorizing?

There are like 5 out on the internet.

Appendix A of the MOI for the HQs USF-I Separate Brigades SAMA Program FY2010 has one bio, but I'm not sure if that's the one everyone is talking about or not. It goes into details about the club and a brief history of it's founding members.

Then, of course, there's the bio that's on the official website. That one is over 600 words long. Some feat that's going to be!

So my question is simple:
Is there a specific bio that has been sanctioned by the organization for use in boards? I can do verbatim, but one and not twenty different versions.

Thanks.
Original Post
APPENDIX A: Sergeant Audie Murphy Biography

SGT Audie Leon Murphy

Audie Leon Murphy was a legend in his own time. A war hero, movie actor, writer of country and western songs and poet. His biography read more like fiction than fact. He lived only 46 years, but made a lasting impression on American history.

Audie was born on a sharecropper's farm in North Texas on June 20, 1924. As a boy, he chopped cotton for one dollar a day and was noted for his feats of daring-do'o and his accuracy with a gun. He had only 5 years of schooling and was orphaned at age 16.

Audie earned a battlefield commission for his courage and leadership ability, as well as, every medal for valor that America gives. He was also awarded three French medals and one Belgian medal. Lieutenant Audie Murphy is the highest decorated soldier of World War II.

Discharged from the Army on September 21, 1945, Audie went to Hollywood at the invitation of movie star, James Cagney. He acted in 44 films staring in 39 of them. His best-known film is "To Hell and Back"; adapted from the best selling book of his war experiences by the same name. In 1955, Audie Murphy was voted the Most Popular Western Actor in America by the Motion Picture Exhibitors.

Audie wrote the lyrics to 16 country and western songs, the most popular of which was "Shutters and Boards", written with Scott Turner in 1962. The song was recorded by over 30 pop singers, including Dean Martin and Porter Waggoner.

Audie was an accomplished poet; unfortunately, only a few of his poems have survived.

In 1950, Audie joined the 36th Infantry Division (T-Patchers) of the Texas National Guard and served with it until 1966. He was a Mason and a Shriner and belonged to several veterans' organizations.

Audie Murphy was killed in a plane crash on a mountaintop near Roanoke, Virginia on May 28, 1971. Fittingly, his body was recovered 2 days later on Memorial Day. He is the greatest combat soldier in the 200-year plus history of the United States.

The original club was started at Fort Hood, Texas early in 1986. There were several key people at Fort Hood - officer, enlisted, civil service, and a Killeen civilian - who were instrumental in getting this club up and running.

Leading the effort was Lieutenant General Crosbie Saint, then the III Corps commander; his Command Sergeant Major George L. Horvath; III Corps Awards Clerk Jean Crisp, and Don Moore, a Killeen artist who assisted with designing the logo.

In 1991, then III Corps Commander Lieutenant General Pete Taylor and Command Sergeant Major Richard B. Cayton expanded the Fort Hood installation club to include all of III Corps. This included Fort Riley, Kansas; Fort Sill, Oklahoma; Fort Bliss, Texas; Fort Polk, Louisiana; and Fort Carson, Colorado.

In 1993, CSM Cayton was voted into the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club by the membership and then became the Forces Command, Command Sergeant Major. Soon thereafter, the club became Forces-Command (FORSCOM) wide, including the Reserves and National Guard.

In 1994 at a Sergeant Major of the Army conference, the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club spread Army-wide, to all commands with installations retaining the selection process for their own NCOs.

The crest was designed by one of the original organizers of the club, Mr. Don Moore, Illustrator of Killeen, Texas. The crest depicts the symbols of the majestic American Bald Eagle superimposed over the olive branch-wreath, saber, and lightning bolt. In front of the eagle are the U.S. Army staff sergeant stripes. The eagle firmly clutches in both claws a powder-blue banner, the color of the infantry. On the banner are displayed words Loyalty, Caring, Discipline, and Professionalism.
Memorizing all the Murphy bios might give you a little more info that reading just one. Regurgitating his bio word-for-word won't get it for you at a "real" SAMC board. His bio is standard reading for canidates; it's a given.

To set yourself off as an "Audie Murphy", I suggest you read his autobiography, To Hell and Back" or find a copy of COL(R) Harold Simpson's Audie Murphy: American Hero. You could also visit audiemurphy.com, the largest web site dedicated to all things Audie Murphy. If it were up to me, reading To Hell and Back would be required reading for every NCO.

In other words, my friend, don't memorize Audie, get to know him. He was much more than just a soldier. Like I said earlier a real SAMC board might ask you: How many children total were born to Audie's parents? How much did Audie weight when the Army finally accepted him? What city and what building did Audie enlist in? What U.S. Army Infantryman's weapon was Audie holding when a mortar round blew up between his legs?...Was this Audie's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Purple Heart?...Who else was near him when this event took place?...What was the status of the other soldiers? Did Audie Murphy ever steal a jeep to return to the front lines? What kind of weapon did Audie use when he wiped out German machine gun nests after his best friend PVT Lattie Tipton was killed? After leaving Active Duty, how did Audie ween himself off painkillers? Name all the enlisted and officer ranks Audie Murphy went thru...

See what I mean? All or any of those online bios won't provide you with these answers.

Other than that, best of luck!
...and for 35M4LN7PF, please read my previous post. Memorizing and recalling facts is an acquired skill that not everyone enjoys or cares for.

The SAMC boards SHOULD offer a canidate the challenge to excel. How does it help one become a better NCO? Read the two books I referred to and you'll learn more of Audie's dedication to the soldiers under him. That dedication translated into the professionalism, leadership traits, and personal ethics that made up Audie. His dedication to his country, the Army, and his subordinates is what guided him thru his combat experiences. It would be advantageous for any soldier to be subordinate to an Audie Murphy type NCO.

Hope this helps!

Add Reply

Likes (0)