which is harder wear and tear-11b or 19d?

I am 36 years old and looking to join a combat arms mos. Which of these two jobs causes more wear and tear physically on a soldier? I know this is the infantry forum, so I expect guys to say 19d because 11b is the most hardcore, but I would like an honest assessment. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is the large amount of marching that tears down an infantry soldier, right? If so, does 19d march as much? One would think not, but I am uninformed, so please help. Thanks.
Original Post
Well I am 40. I came from the Marine Corps where you hump, and then you hump some more. I loved being a Cav Scout, I gess you could say I kinda fit right in, half crazy but don't be fooled it takes a lot of knowledge to be a 19D. There are some job similarities with 11b you are going to take a lot of wear and tear with each. My most loved part about being a Cav scout was being dismounted, I was nominated Chief of the dismounts, I got to train, lead and share the knowledge of years of being on the ground to all the fresh meat. Who just couldnt wait to be a driver or gunner so they wouldnt have to do a little foot recon. Wrong!!! It's an integeral part of the job. You have got to know both ends. Now to the real Pain part. I gess my joints were acustomed to moving when my command finaly laid down the law with promotions and forced me into the gunners seat. (Heck they let me out of it as a Sgt for 2 years.) It was 6 times as bad to me. I hurt in places that never hurt before. And got frozen up. A lot of bruises from rough terain that I didnt suffer on the ground. I talked with other 11b that came over to 19d who complained of the same. So, I gess the question is how much wear and tear do you have on your body now? And second you might get lucky and get some hummers instead of BFVs. My unit at the time swiched over to a Combat Reg. and got rid of a lot of BFVs.
All in all I have been out since 2003. And have a physical in July to go back. And Yes!! I pray the Cav will have me back. You can deal with anything if you are physicaly prepared and you fit in the guys on your track.
Good Luck, If you want to be just a regular grunt, but then you would'nt be S*&^&*t.

Add Reply

Likes (0)