Your opinion, what is the best MI sector?

My wife will soon be enlisting, and she literally has the opportunity choose whichever MOS that is available. At the present time she has not taken the DLI to be deemed eligible for 35P. I don't think she is really interested in that MOS. I cannot give her much information in MI due to being Signal (25B), and I have no friends or contacts that are MI anyways.

In the end she wants to become a lawyer. She is currently 1/4 through her masters in criminal justice, and the tuition is piling up!

In your opinion what MOS should she hold out for and why?
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by MICO 1SG:
DLAB not DLI.

Well 35M is overstrength right now. None of the intel MOSs really set you up for being a lawyer. She should look at being a paralegal or something.

That's what I thought, but in her opinion she thinks working in the MI field would be beneficial at the political side. She has the opinion that working in the 27 series would become boring. Unless the paralegals are actually conducting research, gathering information and preparing cases to assist an attorney.
quote:
Originally posted by SGT Smitty:
It's hard to say what MOS will be like what, because it all comes down to assignment. You could be MI but then get assigned as the training room clerk and have to file PT cards all day.

35F might be the safest bet if she's initial entry and wants to go MI.

That is the MOS that she is leaning towards. She will be going to MEPS relatively soon to finish all that remains.
I have to agree with MICO 1SG, If her goal is to become a lawyer, then 27D is her best bet.
Based on what you've said so far, I think she will find MI disappointing. But I don't know what you mean by MI being "beneficial to the political side"
I'll leave you with this: I've never seen a 27D work outside of their MOS.
quote:
Originally posted by JC351LP:
I have to agree with MICO 1SG, If her goal is to become a lawyer, then 27D is her best bet.
Based on what you've said so far, I think she will find MI disappointing. But I don't know what you mean by MI being "beneficial to the political side"

I agree with the above poster completely.
I will say that I think it is very rare to find a 35F that is stuck in an orderly room, unless they've lost their clearance or they are being MED boarded out, etc.

I'm a 35F, finishing a degree with the intent of applying to law school in a few years and in no way whatsoever is my MOS beneficial at all for a later career in law.

If she'd be bored as a paralegal, she'd be bored as a lawyer. IMO, the paralegal does the heavy lifting, plus she'd learn things like legal research and legal citations that would make school so much easier.
quote:
Originally posted by SFC W:
quote:
Originally posted by JC351LP:

I agree with the above poster completely.
I will say that I think it is very rare to find a 35F that is stuck in an orderly room, unless they've lost their clearance or they are being MED boarded out, etc.

I'm a 35F, finishing a degree with the intent of applying to law school in a few years and in no way whatsoever is my MOS beneficial at all for a later career in law.

If she'd be bored as a paralegal, she'd be bored as a lawyer. IMO, the paralegal does the heavy lifting, plus she'd learn things like legal research and legal citations that would make school so much easier.
Have you been in many MICOs? Because in MICOs that I've seen in FORSCOM units (in the CAV) the company is usually only authorized one 42A, SPC. Which a lot of times the SQDN will steal from the MICO. Only recently did I get an actual 42A (a PFC straight out of AIT). My orderly room/HQ section consists of a SGT 35M, a SPC 35F, a PFC 35N. My armorer is a 35M but it has been a 35F in the past. This is the first 42A this company has had in over two years. The HQ PSG/OPs NCO has bounced between a 35M and 35F over the last two years as well.

In FORSCOM, anyone can get screwed over. Hell when I first got here, I spent my first year as an ISR platoon sergeant because they needed a strong SFC to run both ISR platoons. So I have two NCOER change of raters that list my duty position as 35F4O.
A 42A Shouldn't be working no lower then BN level. Whoever is organic to the orginzation and preferabbly overstrenght should work in the training/orderly room.

I have been in alot of different units and thats usually who they have working in there. But I have never seen a 27D working in there they usually belong with the JAG in the rear and at most are attached to the S1 during deployment. But they tend to be right in the CSM hip pocket along with the Career Counselor.

Add Reply

Likes (0)